|Name||Kato, Mario Takayuki|
|Date of birth||February 16th, 1954|
|Languages||Fluent in Portuguese (native) and English Good
knowledge of Spanish and some knowledge of French and Dutch
|Ph.D||Environmental and Agricultural Science: Department
of Environmental Technology, Wageningen Agricultural University. Wageningen,
The Netherlands, 1994. Ph.D Dissertation: The anaerobic treatment of low
strength soluble wastewaters. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Gatze Lettinga. Co-supervisor:
Dr. Jim A. Field.
|M.Sc||Civil Engineering: Department of Hydraulics and
Sanitation, School of Engineering of São Carlos, University of São Paulo.
São Carlos, State of São Paulo, Brazil, 1982. Master Thesis: Study and treatment
of poultry processing wastewater. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Jurandyr Povinelli.
|B.Sc||Management: Paraná Catholic College of Economy
and Management. Curitiba, State of Paraná, Brazil, 1978. Civil Engineering:
Paraná Polytechnical Centre, Federal University of Paraná. Curitiba, State
of Paraná, Brazil, 1976.
|1986-Present||Sanitary and Environmental Engineering: Full
Professor at the Division of Environmental Sanitation and Water Resources, Department of Civil Engineering, Technological and Geoscience Centre, School of Engineering of Pernambuco, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil. Head of the Environmental Sanitation Laboratory and research group on biological wastewater treatment, reuse and water quality. Acquisition and management of research projects; supervision of undergraduate students of Civil, Agricultural and Chemical Engineering, Chemistry and Biology, and graduate students of Environmental Technology; lecturer; consulting.
|1982-1985||Teaching in Water Quality and Research Assistant, Department of Sanitary Engineering, Mauá School of Engineering and Technological
Centre. São Caetano do Sul, State of São Paulo, Brazil.
|1981-1982||Lecturer of Hydraulics and Fluid Mechanics, Department of Civil Engineering, Paulista State University. Ilha Solteira, State of São Paulo, Brazil.|
|1976-1978||Consulting: design of water and wastewater treatment plants, water supply systems, sewerage systems, urban drainage and erosion
prevention systems, municipal master plans. Planepar Consulting, Curitiba,
Member of Event Committees
- X Latin-American Workshop and Seminar on Anaerobic Digestion. Ouro Preto,
Minas Gerais, Brazil, 2010. Organizing Committee.
- 12th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion. IWA. Guadalajara, México. 2010.
- International Workshop on Strategy for Anaerobic Biotechnology. Xian, China.
Organizing Committee, 2009.
- XXV Brazilian Sanitary and Environmental Engineering. ABES (Brazilian Sanitary
and Environmental Engineering Associtaion), held at Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
in September 2009. Coordinator of the Scientific Committee.
- The Third International Meeting on Environmental Technology and Engineering.
Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 2008. International Scientific Committee.
- IX Latin-American Workshop and Seminar on Anaerobic Digestion. Eastern Island,
Chile, 2008. Scientific Committee.
- VIII Latin-American Workshop and Seminar on Anaerobic Digestion. Punta del
Este, Uruguay, 2005. Scientific Committee.
- VII Latin-American Workshop and Seminar on Anaerobic Digestion. Mérida,
Mexico, 2002. Organizing Committee.
- Seminar on Technology of Treatment and Post-treatment of Wastewater: National
and International Advances and Experience. Recife, 2002. Coordinator.
- Seminar on Management of River Basin and Superficial Water Quality. Recife,
2000. Organizing Committee.
- VI Latin-American Workshop and Seminar on Anaerobic Digestion. Recife, Brazil,
2000. Member of Organizing Committee and Executive Coordinator. Selected papers
published in: Chernicharo, C. A. L.; Foresti, E.; Florencio, L.; Kato, M.T.
Eds. (2001). Water Science and Technology. v.44, nr. 4, 314p. IWA Publishing,
1. Instituto Potosino de Investigación Científica y Tecnológica. San Luis Potosi,
2. La Molina National Agrarian University, Lima, Peru. Post-graduation course
in Biological and Environmental Sciences. February 2004, August 2008.
3. Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of Xi’an,
China, November 2007.
4. University of Concepción, Chile. Post-graduation course in Environmental
Science. August 2002.
5. La Molina National Agrarian University, Lima, Peru. Program Bolivar SNI/ANR,
Biotechnology and Environment. July 2000.
Referee of Journals
1. Frontiers of Environmental Science & Engineering in China
2. Bioresource Technology
3. Biodegradation (Dordrecht)
4. Water, Air and Soil Pollution
5. Journal of Environmental Management
6. Journal of Biological Engineering
7. Revista Brasileira de Engenharia Agrícola e Ambiental
8. Biochemical Engineering Journal
9. Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification
10. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering
11. Environmental Engineering Science
12. Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science
13. Journal of Environmental Engineering (New York)
14. Engenharia Sanitária e Ambiental
15. Interciencia (Caracas)
16. Environmental Technology
17. Water Science and Technology
18. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 19. Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Member of Editorial Board
- Engenharia Sanitária e Ambiental: 2009 to 2011
- International Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment – 2004
Member of Associations
1. ABES – Brazilian Association of Sanitary and Environmental Engineering (since
2. AIDIS – Interamerican Association of Sanitary and Environmental Engineering
3. IWA – International Water Association (since 1994)